Sunday, September 27, 2009

Online classes, friend or foe?

I can't decide how I feel about online classes. I definitely love that they give you the flexibility of not having to go sit in a classroom for several hours a week...however, I'm not sure that they give you the full learning potential.

Last semester I took an Anatomy class online...the teacher was great, I really did feel like I learned things...but probably not as much as I would have learned in the classroom. Now, with that class I did have to go take proctored tests in the testing center...so, you have no choice but to study because you have to know the information to pass! However, this semester I'm taking Development Psych online and 2 out of 3 of the tests are taken online at home. They are open book and open notes and you have 1 hour and 15 minutes to take them. AND, the test was only 37 questions. Thus, I had no motivation to actually study because I just sat down and took the test with my books and got a 100. Now, don't get me wrong, I love getting A's...but I just feel like there's something missing with these classes!!

I know that by doing it this way and not truly studying the material I'm only hurting myself, but with the amount of work that has to go into my Nursing and Pathopharmacology class I really have no choice! I really think I definitely get more out of a traditional class...of course for the sake of flexibility and scheduling, I'll probably take a couple more online classes.

Any thoughts? Which do (or did) you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment