Friday, September 25, 2009

Life is about to get crazy...

Earlier this week I was offered a job as a Tech in the Mother/Infant unit at the hospital. I am beyond EXCITED at this opportunity. This is where I want to work post-graduation and it's HARD to get a job there as a new graduate nurse. I knew from the day I entered nursing school that if I had any hope of working in this unit right after school, I would need to get a tech position while I was in school.

Since starting school in January, I've stalked the website...day after day I checked for new jobs and very few were posted. FINALLY, about 2 months ago they posted a new position and I jumped at the chance to apply. After a phone interview, I was heartbroken to find out that they had already offered the position to an internal candidate...SUCH DEFEAT!!! (But, at least the phone interview was out of the way!!)

I kept watching and within a week they had posted another position....none for months and then 2 within several weeks, what are the odds??? Again, I jumped at the opportunity but also emailed my advisor, who is the OB teacher at our school (such luck)! She helped me out and to make a long story short, within a couple weeks I had an interview with the Nurse Manager on the unit. The interview went fabulously and 3 days later, I received a call with an offer!!

While I'm extremely nervous about the idea of adding work to my increasingly busy school schedule, they're super flexible about hours and school and I couldn't be more thrilled to have this opportunity. It's such a relief to know that as long as I show them what a hard and dedicated worker I am, I could easily slide into an RN position post-grad.

Next week I'll be juggling a week-long orientation, several classes, clinical and a test...and preparing for a test the next week. Guess I'm starting out with a bang! Luckily, the busier I get the more focused I become....and I'm sure going to need A LOT of focus for the next 20 months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment